Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 2 In Wigan

I got a good nights sleep so I was ready for a couple visits today.  So my first stop was.
L

My grandfathers return address back in 1908 was !0 5 Cambridge Street.  So I went to the street first.


This was as close as I could get to number 5.  It could very well have been torn down. 1908 was a long time ago.

Next I went to the city center and spent some time in the Wigan Life Museum.  I didn't take a picture of it but this is what things in town looked like.


Lots of red brick and ornate buildings.  There wasn't much about the time when my grandfather James lived there but it was still interesting,  I learned there was a cotton famine here as well as in Ireland. Also that there were textile mills here as well as mines.


I learned that Gandalf had spent some of his youth here.

Then I found the shopping mall and tons of people.  I had a nice break and headed to my appointment with Fr.Johnson at St. Mary's church.



This is the church where my grandparents were married back in 1910. It was built in the early 1800's. 


Fr. Johnson graciously turned on lights for me to get some pictures.  Norah I've taken lots of pictures inside that I'll send to you when I get home.


This is the book of marriages.


This is the record of their marriage.  It even lists where my grandmother was living before her marriage. It was pretty cool seeing this record in person and seeing the beautiful church they were married in. 

I know I still haven't showed the linen museum, but I will in a separate post.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you actually got to see it in person, Kate! It's a very lovely church :)
    See you very soon x

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.