Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How Do You Get So Much Done

How do you get so much done? This is a question I am often asked so I thought I would share what I do.  To begin with I have to admit I go through periods where I really don't get a lot done. In those times I think my focus is elsewhere. When I am not getting things done I find that I need to regroup and see what the problem is.  Often I do some or all of the following/

* Turn off the TV
* Limit my time on the Internet
* Do things in small steps
* Choose to focus on finishing
* Put the project on my To Do List.





















Here is a tote bag that I finished last week.   This was made with the Birdie Sling pattern by Amy Butler.  I just love her patterns. I use small steps to get this completed.  By this I mean I will do just a little bit every day, sometimes as little as 15 minutes.  At first I just cut out a few of the pattern pieces at a time, then the interfacing, lining etc.  I did the same small steps in making the bag. Some days I would pin pieces together and then next day I would do the sewing of them and move on to the next step. Before long I was almost done and did the final work in one longer session.

Often I will use this small step technique with art too. I'll work in an art journal the same way. In a short time you can easily get a background done, or add some collage. Even a quick sketch in your sketchbook can be done in 15 minutes.  Most of us don't have large blocks of time to get our creative work done. Try breaking things down to small steps and you might find that you that you really can accomplish a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I need to do more of that...small steps. I tend to think in terms of needing hours to do something when I could just use a few minutes here and there.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.