Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hunger Games

I am off to my friend Jolene's this afternoon for an Art date.  The best kind of fun if you ask me.
















Here she is showing off a page in progress the last time we met which was in January, yikes that was too long ago.
























Dave and I went to see Hunger Games yesterday, there were a few things i would have preferred they did differently but all in all a great job.  If you go see this movie pay attention to the sound. This is one of the best sound editing jobs I recall hearing.  Sound editing you may wonder, what is that, or who pays attention to that. After watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy so many times I began to appreciate movies in a different way.  I notice the costumes, the art direction, the sound and more.  It really makes for a rich visual experience when you notice all parts of the movie.

In Hunger Games I expected the costumes to be more outlandish so that was a bit of a disappointment. In this movie the sound flowed so beautifully from high drama to the softer moments. It was beautiful.  I had read the books a couple years ago so my memory isn't as great as it could have been. Cinna was one of my favorite characters and I was pleased that Lenny Kravitz was playing him but disappointed that he had so little air time. Then I think ,was he more prominent in the second book or the third book?  I guess I will have to re-read them to know for sure. Plus they consolidated some characters, I understand why they do it but I wish they wouldn't. I also think they didn't go far enough in their portrayal of the horror of it all but once again they wanted to keep a certain rating.

I also liked that we have a strong female character written by a woman made into a successful movie. Anyways I am digressing a little bit here. My recommendation is go see the movie and pay attention to the sound, it is amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate....we are going to see HG tonight. Thank you for the excellent review of the movie. I will be paying attention to the sound, particularly, since you mentioned it. Cinna was murdered in front of Katniss is book two.
    Cheers,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the books - just read them in February. One of the best series I've read. Fightening to think this could be our future!
    haven't seen the movie yet but will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...!!!
    A play date with art and a good friend :]
    Simply wonderful!
    Don't really get to the theater too often or watch much TV, but thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Play dates are the best ! I head off with my girlfriends for a long weekend tomorrow. Can't wait !

    BTW - I tagged you in a fun meme on my blog if you feel like taking part. Check it out at http://www.queen-of-arts.blogspot.com/2012/03/tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Hunger Games. Of course the book was better, they usually are, but they did a pretty good job staying true. I read the book really last minute(I actually finished a few hours before we went to the midnight premiere,lol). I'm just starting the second book now. Loving the art journal, soooo pretty. If I can ever find the time to start something new, I so want to do one. About to scour your blog for some inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.