Monday, October 31, 2011

Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead


Well granted it is not really Día de los Muertos or The Day of the Dead until tomorrow but I am posting today anyways. My church always celebrates and this year I took part in creating the altar decorations. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it attains the quality of a National Holiday.















Here you can see bread left out and the skulls my daughter made.

We have members put out pictures of their loved ones who have passed.

We added a stuffed animal pet to represent those pets we have lived with and who have died. You can also see the picture of my grandmother that I have placed on the table.


Dishes and food are left for our ancestors in case they are hungry when they come back.















These are the 2 shrines I made for my parents. They were made out of old altoid tins.
















Here is a close up of the skulls that my daughter made. First they were crocheted and then deorated with embroidery floss. Aren't they just the cutest?

November 1


In addition to being The Day of the Dead, November 1st is also the beginning of the National Novel Writing Month.  Since I will be participating again blogging will be taking a slide. I promise to blog at least once a week during the month.




 Oh I just saw this video and loved it. Don't you love watching other artists work, I know I get inspired watching videos like this.

Happy Halloween, Samhain and Day of the Dead to all of you.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Kate. How wonderful that you can share this with your daughter! xoO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The display looks great! How nice that everyone shared in it. Every year I think I'll do this but then I forget until it's too late.

    I'm off to check out the video now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate;
    I really love the way you celebrate this by remembering your loved ones. I always found 'day of the dead' to be creepy and scary and so I always veered away from it, however, the way you celebrate is a huge blessing and a tribute to those who have passed away, a day to remember their lives and that is awesome. Thanks for sharing this.
    Good luck on Nanowrimo!
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful way to celebrate Day of he dead. :) Have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So inspiring... thank you for sharing...
    LOVE IT!!
    I agree, it is wonderful to watch other artists working on their projects <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love day of the dead! And your mini altoid alters for your parents are a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.