Monday, September 26, 2011

More Art from Layered Impressions Class

I have a couple more pieces to share from the Layered Impressions class I have been taking



















This mermaid was done on a wood panel I got at Michaels.  I started with molding paste and then added pastel,  a mix of marble dust and gel medium.   The I drew her with a graphite crayon, I used a stamp as the model for her. I painted her in fluid and heavy bodied acrylics.  I added a little stamping too. The scales were drawn with a micron pen.



















This piece was created on a 12 x 12 piece of watercolor paper. First the collage pieces were laid down.




















Then I added some pan pastels in several areas  and then a thin layer of gesso over the entire piece.























Then I used acrylics to change some things and highlight others.  I added more collage items and more gesso and paint.




















Additional finishing was created with colored pencils and my black stablio pencil. My inspiration for the piece was the bond between me and my dog and how I felt when he came home after he had been lost for a day. I used images of portals and home and a weather vane to show him finding his way back to me, his way back home.

I am so loving this class.  Katie's teaching style is laid back and I love that.  The other artists are all supportive too.  What a great time I am having.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, great techniques you are learning. I love the woman and her dog and your story too. The mermaid is very cute as well. I hope you are well.
    Hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love the piece about you and your dog. It's fantastic!!

    Your mermaid is pretty, too. You did a great job with her hair, something I'm terrible at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something new, you seem to find so many ways to express yourself, I love these. Hugs, mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. KATE!!! I LOVE the painting of you and Flynn! It is beautiful. Wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK! I know I just commented a few seconds ago, but I am seriously blown away by this. I just keep coming back and studying it. So cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.