Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Authors















I went up to Missoula this past weekend to see my daughter present her honors thesis project. That is Rachel, Brenna and Sarah in the picture. Their project involved rewriting fairy tales and looking at why some stories last. They all wrote a version of Little Red Riding Hood. Their stories were vastly . Sarah told the story from the wolf's point of view, Brenna's a more contemporary tale and Rachel took us to the dark side. They were all great stories and these three female authors all presented their stories very well. I was one proud momma.












On Sunday we went to breakfast here. I am a sucker for diners, I love trying them out anywhere I can find one.












 On the inside it was all pink and green, a very retro look to it.  If you look at the ceiling on the left you can see a piece of car sticking out of the wall.  Diners are always so unique in their decor.  They had great breakfasts too.












Then we went for a walk along the river. It really was a beautiful morning.

















Here I am taking a few moments to enjoy the water view.


Violette's Journal Challenge

 















I did this little challenge from Violette's site.  Go here to participate.  She had you do  4 things.
1. An action - I used a credit card to paint with.
2. a texture making tool, I used sequin waste even though you can't see it.
3. word - Happy New Life
4. visual item -  magazine image of some bedding.

I actually chose the image first and then the words and then added my own journaling on how the image made me feel.  Doing these challenges are fun because they mix it up a little, make you think differently from your normal way of doing things.

10 comments:

  1. Yea! Congrats to all three of the authors. I wish we could hear their fairy tales.

    Diners are always fun places to eat. They almost always have good food and interesting decor. Sort of a slice of Americana.

    Great journal page. That blanket and the pillows look so comfy and snug. I agree about the smell of bed clothes hung outside to dry....it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an awesome time. Your daughter looks so much like you ! How great to have been there to celebrate her hard work with her.
    Love the challenge ideas ! Need those on slow artist brain days.
    Cheers and happy Tuesday !
    (Ps - got the journal - and I figured out who I am sending it to next if she agrees. Cute little thing isn't it ?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the authors. Sounds interesting!
    Lovely views...neat journal page! Enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the authors. Sarah looks so much like you. Neat journal challenge. I need to look at Violette's daily to keep up! I keep getting behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love new versions of fairy tales. Those sound interesting.
    That dinner looks like so much fun!
    And your page for the challenge is lovely.
    Hugs,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very happy about your daughter, how nice to have her be so talented and creative. The pictures are great, makes me feel like I shared in your special time. xo, O

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to read the girls stories. And I am nuts about Diners, My Dad loved them and he would take us on long drives, we would always find one...Mama called them greases spoons, but I loved them. I loved the colors and the food always smelled so good. A Fountain cherry coke, Oh My! Loved this post, Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great time, Kate! Love your journal entry too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate.......thanks for playing! I love how you chose a monochromatic scheme which really fits well with the linen theme....crisp linens reminde me of blue and white!

    Your creativity and openess to try new things amazes me! You are the Queen of Creativity!

    love, Violette xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. btw i can't get over how much your daughter looks like you! Wild! Congrats to your daughter for all of her hard work! You must be so proud!

    Love, violette

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate receiving your comments.